Where can I find forms?

This page has information about where to find forms.

If you want the information on this page in writing, click the Download button.

1. To start a case, find a form for a Petition. Look for a form for a petition in the kind of case you are starting. If your case involves domestic violence and you want to get a protective order, please go to the Protective Order page.

2. TexasLawHelp has free forms. TexasLawHelp.org has free forms for many kinds of very simple cases. Not all courts in Texas accept forms from TexasLawHelp.org. Call the clerk’s office to find out whether the courts in your area will accept them.

3. Libraries may have forms. Check with a law library, a public library, or the State Law Library, (512) 463-1722. Be careful about forms you find in stores or on web sites – they may not be up-to-date or correct under Texas law.

4. Help filling out forms. There are a few free ways to get help:

  • Use TexasLawHelp’s LiveHelp chat service to talk to a lawyer.
  • Some counties have self-help centers where you can get help filling out forms in family law cases.
  • Free legal advice clinics are another option where you may be able to get help filling out forms.

To find self-help centers and legal advice clinics in your area, go to the Resources section.

5. Fill out a Civil Case Information Sheet. The Supreme Court of Texas requires that a Civil Case Information Sheet be filed at the same time a Petition is filed.

Civil Case Information Sheet 
Instructions for Civil Case Information Sheet
Supplemental Instructions for Self-Represented Litigants (tells what the words on the Sheet mean)

6. View the video or download the guide on this page for an example of how to fill out the Civil Case Information Sheet.  It is only an example. It may not apply to your case.

7. File the lawsuit. When you have filled out your Petition and a Civil Case Information Sheet, the next step is to file the lawsuit.